If you are the only adult living in your main home, we will reduce your council bill by 25%.

We calculate council tax based on 2 adults living in a property as their main home. If you are the only person living in your property, you may be entitled to a 25% discount. 

If someone in your household is temporarily away from home, for example on holiday or working away and only coming back occasionally, your property still counts as that person's main home. 

You can only claim a single person discount for your only or main home; you cannot claim it for a second home. 


You can apply for this discount online.

If something changes 

If your circumstances change, you must tell us at once, or we may charge you a penalty of £70. 

Examples of changes that may affect your discount include: 

  • Another adult comes to stay with you, and this is that person's main home 
  • A child in the household reaches the age of 18 
  • You permanently leave your home 

Please use the form above to tell us about a change in your circumstances.

Contact us

Scroll to the top of the page