If you are carrying out major repairs or structural alterations your home, you can get a 50% discount on your council tax.
This discount lasts for a maximum of 12 months, and applies to any property that is:
- Vacant and requires, or is undergoing, major repair work to make it habitable
- Unoccupied and undergoing structural alteration
Major repairs are works that affect the fabric of the building such as:
- Major roof repairs
- External wall repairs
- New ceilings
- Re-plastering of walls
- Removing supporting walls
- Removing and re-laying floors
Once the discount period has ended, you will have to pay the full amount of council tax.
If a property is empty for a longer time, a premium may apply:
- More than 2 years – 100% premium
- 5 years or more – 200% premium
You can find out more information on our council tax premiums on empty homes page.
To apply this discount, you will need to email us the following details:
- The date the property became uninhabitable
- Details of the work required, or under way, to make the property habitable
- The date the work began or will begin
- Details of any furniture still in the property, and in what rooms
- Evidence of the work needed, or being carried out, such as surveyor's report, builder's estimate or photographs
We may carry out an internal inspection of the property before we decide if you are entitled to the discount.
We will also carry out regular inspections of the property during the work and any period after that it remains unoccupied.