If your home has an annexe, you may be able to get a 50% discount on its council tax.

If you live in an annexe and are related to the person living in the main house, you may be entitled to a 50% reduction in the council tax on the annexe - this is on top of any other discount you may already have/can get. 

For example: if you live in the annexe on your own, and your parents live in the main house,; you will have to pay council tax on the annexe, but you can get a 25% single person discount and then a 50% annexe discount. 

If you live in the main house and use the annexe as part of your home, you may be entitled to a 50% discount on the annexe. 


To apply for either of these discounts, please complete the annexe application form and return it to us. 

Other reductions 

If you have a close relative who is over 65 years old that lives in the annexe and is either severely mentally impaired or substantially and permanently disabled, we may be able to give an exemption for council tax.  

If nobody lives in the annexe, and you cannot let it separately because of a planning restriction, it could also be exempt from council tax. 

If you think you are eligible for either of these exemptions, please contact us online. 

Contact us

Scroll to the top of the page