If you have a furnished property that is not your only or main home, you must pay full council tax.

A second home is a property that someone owns or rents in addition to their main home. It is substantially furnished but is no one's main home. 

If you have a second home, you must pay 100% of the council tax on it. 


Tied accommodation

If, under your terms and conditions of employment, you are contractually bound to live in a particular property provided by your employer, the discount is 50%. Examples may include: 

  • Publicans 
  • Resident caretakers 
  • Ministers of religion 

Some Ministry of Defence personnel

For Ministry of Defence personnel who own a property in the area but are living in service accommodation, the discount is 50%. 

The rules about what is, or is not, a second home can be complicated. If you would like to check if you qualify for this discount, please call us. 

Contact us

Scroll to the top of the page