Find out more about payment schedules, change of bank, and the landlords' forum.

Landlords have a responsibility to tell our benefits team of of any changes they know will affect their tenant's benefits, for example a change of address.

It is the tenant's responsibility to tell us of any changes in their circumstances.

Direct payments to landlords

We can pay housing benefit directly to a landlord if the tenant is:

  • Vulnerable and can't manage their financial affairs
  • Unlikely to pay their rent and have got into arrears before
  • In rent arrears of eight weeks or more (the eight week arrears period takes into account an advance payment, if this is part of the tenancy agreement)
  • If the rent is equal to or less than the local housing allowance (LHA) rate

Our Vulnerability policy and procedure tells you how we make a decision to pay the landlord where someone is vulnerable. The tenant will need to complete a Direct payments application form and give us supporting evidence about their needs so we can decide whether to pay the landlord directly.

If the tenant is in arrears

If the tenant is in arrears, we need evidence of the amount paid to the landlord - we would need to see a statement of amounts due and what has actually been paid. You can email this to our Benefits team using the contact details on this page.

The team will check to see if there is a claim in payment, and change payment direct to the landlord. We will send a notification letter to both tenant and landlord to inform them of this change.

There are many reasons why someone cannot manage their money and paying the landlord may only be a short term arrangement. There are a number of local advice agencies that may be able to offer support.

Payment schedules

If you would like us to email your schedule of payments, you can email or telephone us to ask for this.

We pay landlords directly in four week cycles. Please see our payment schedule for Landlords from April 2022 to March 2023  or Nepali version for more details.  We will send you a statement for each payment made, showing the amount of benefit and the name and address of the tenant. If you are receiving housing benefit for more than one tenant, the statement will list the tenants separately.

We recommend that you keep this statement for your records.

You will also receive a separate notification of housing benefit entitlement for each tenant whose housing benefit we are paying directly to you. This will show the date housing benefit entitlement started and the weekly amount granted. Your tenant receives a similar, but more detailed, notification.

Change of bank details

If you change your bank details, tell us as soon as possible in a letter, or email us using the the Housing benefit BACS contact on this page.

Landlords' forum

We hold a landlords' forum once a year, to update on housing issues, new benefits legislation, current workloads and answer general questions on the housing benefit service.

The Rent Service

The Rent Service is now part of the Valuation Office Agency. Its work mainly centres on the private rented housing sector in England.

The main function of The Rent Service is to set LHA rates using market evidence gathered from the area and information submitted by landlords and letting agents.

Additional guidance

Local Housing Allowance rates
Changing the account your money is paid into - landlords

Contact us

Scroll to the top of the page