If you need help managing your money or debts, there are agencies who can offer you advice.
Hampshire County Council
Citizens Advice Rushmoor
Offers free, confidential, impartial, and independent advice on managing your finances, including opening bank accounts, problems with bank accounts, benefit overpayments, rent arrears, budgeting and general debt problems.
- Website: Citizens Advice Rushmoor
- Telephone: 08444 111304
- 39 High Street, Aldershot
- Council Offices, Farnborough
Christians Against Poverty
Offers free help with debt problems. A debt coach will work with you to prioritise your essential bills and negotiate with your creditors. If you are in severe debt, you can get help with insolvency options.
- Local counselling centre based at north Camp Methodist Church, Lynchford Road, Farnborough
- Head Office Tel: 01274 760720
- Website: Christians Against Poverty
Help with water and energy bills
If you are struggling to pay your water and energy bills, there are various schemes that may be able to help. Find out more in Auriga Services' help with water and energy bills document.
Citizens Advice Rushmoor has Citizens Advice Rushmoor - payday loans on its website. This includes information on what you should expect from a payday lender and what you can do if you have a problem with a payday loan.
Hampshire credit union
The aim of a credit union is to support the whole community by helping everyone to access financial products, including current and savings accounts, affordable loans and ISAs.
In particular, it can help you if you are finding it difficult to get a loan or current account and therefore vulnerable to being targeted by payday lenders.
The Hampshire credit union offers affordable loans, with interest rates depending on how much you borrow, up to a maximum loan of £7,499 over five years. It also encourages residents to set up savings accounts to pay into regularly.
It also offers current accounts with free banking, so if you go overdrawn, you won't be charged fees and interest.
Free, confidential and independent telephone helpline service on debt issues. The service offers specialist advice, self-help materials and individually tailored debt management plans.
Language line, an interpreter service, is available offering professional telephone interpreters in over 100 languages to translate what you and the adviser are saying to each other.
- Tel: 0808 8084000
- Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am to 9pm; Saturday 9.30am to 1pm
- Website: National Debtline
A free debt advice service for self-employed and small business debts.
- Tel: 0800 1976026
- Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm
- Website: Business Debtline
Online resource: Martin Lewis - money saving expert
For help with debts, budgeting advice, a useful budgeting tool and ways to make your money go further.
- Website: Money saving expert
Money advice service
Provides clear, impartial information about UK financial services to help you manage your money better and make more informed financial service choices. The Money Advice Service was set up by the government, is funded by the UK financial services industry and is run by an independent chair and board, appointed by the UK Financial Services Authority.
- Tel: 0300 500 5000 - calls should cost no more than 01 or 02 UK-wide calls and are included in inclusive mobile and landline minutes. You can also ask to be called back.
- Opening times: Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm.
- Website: Money advice service
Charitable organisation offering free, confidential, independent and impartial advice tailored to individual needs and circumstances.
- Central Adviceline: 0800 138 1111
- Opening times: Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm
- Website: Step Change
Loan shark advice service
An organisation offering confidential support and advice as soon as you contact them.
Loan sharks are illegal moneylenders who do not have a Consumer Credit Licence. You will not get into trouble with the authorities for using them; it's the loan shark breaking the law.
You should not use them, as:
- They might pretend to be your friend at first, but can be expensive and dangerous
- You could pay them back for years, with no dent in the original loan
- They won't just harass you, they might target your family and friends too
- Advice line 0300 555 2222
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Text: 'loan shark' and your message to 60003