If you take bookings for private hire (minicab) vehicles and drivers, you or your firm must have an operator's licence.
Applying for an operator's licence
What you will need to provide
- Details of the premises in Rushmoor that you will be operating from
- Evidence of your right to work in the UK
- Up-to-date, original and valid driving licence (if you have ever possessed one)
- A Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
- A public liability insurance certificate (showing cover to at least £5 million)
- A certificate of employer's liability (if you employ people)
- A sample of how you intend to keep your booking records (please see requirements below)
- The operator's licence fee
You will normally need to be 17 years old or over.
We will inspect the operating base to check that you comply with all requirements.
We will consult with our Planning team to find out if your premises requires planning permission.
For every booking you must record (either electronically or in writing, on a form approved by us) the following information:
- The date and time of the booking
- The date and time of the journey
- The starting point of the journey and the destination
- If the hirer or another operator made the booking directly. If another operator made the request, you must specify that operator
- The name of the licensed driver who was sent out on the job and the licence plate number of the vehicle used
- The fee agreed between the hirer and the operator. If a taximeter is used, you should note the fare recorded on the meter at the end of the journey, along with the initials of the person making the record
Please note that this is not a comprehensive list of the requirements and in some cases, we may need additional information to decide on your application.
You should allow at least 28 days for us to process your application, from the initial appointment. However, as we rely on third parties, it may take significantly longer.
How to renew your licence
Your licence usually lasts for three years. We will try to contact you before your renewal date, but it is your responsibility to make sure you apply to renew your licence before your current licence expires.
Taxi licensing policy
Please see ourfor more information about how we carry out our taxi licensing functions and responsibilities.