You will need a hackney carriage (taxi) or private hire (minicab) driver's licence before you can operate as a driver in Rushmoor.
How to apply
If you would like to make an application for a hackney carriage or private hire drivers licence, you will need to complete an email@example.com, by post or drop it into our council offices.and send it to us either by email to
If you wish to discuss your application with an officer or bring in original documents, you will need to either call us to book an appointment on 01252 398855 or attend one of our regular drop-in sessions currently scheduled for:
- Thursday 10 November, 10am to 12pm
- Thursday 17 November, 11.30am to 1.30pm
- Thursday 24 November, 2pm to 4pm
- Every Thursday thereafter 10am to 12pm
While your application is being processed, you will need to submit the following:
- An up-to-date, original and valid driving licence
- Evidence of your current address (for example your current council tax bill, or a utility bill or bank statement dated within 3 months)
- A taxi driver medical application form completed by your GP. Dependent on your medical history you may need to submit additional medical evidence that you meet the Group 2 medical standard. For example, Insulin dependent diabetics will need to submit 2 months worth of glucose readings showing that they have been meeting the additional glucose monitoring requirements in the DVLA group 2 medical standards, before any licence can be considered.
- A qualification certificate showing that your literacy and numeracy skills meet the equivalent of Entry Level One literacy and Entry Level Two numeracy initial assessments. If you do not have a qualification certificate, you will have the chance to take a test. You will have to pay a fee for each attempt at the tests. We will normally allow you to attempt the numeracy test three times, but the literacy test only once
- Proof that you have passed a driving standards and proficiency assessment for driving a hackney carriage/private hire vehicle and the additional wheelchair element (where relevant). This must be dated within six months of your application. The Blue Lamp Trust is an approved supplier of both the driving assessment and wheelchair element. The wheelchair assessment applies for all applications for a hackney carriage licence, and if you intend to drive a wheelchair accessible vehicle
- Proof that you have attended and passed a classroom-based taxi safeguarding course, which must be dated within 6 months of your appointment with us. This can either:
- With The Blue Lamp Trust, using Zoom, which can be booked at Taxi Safeguarding Classroom Course
- Or can be carried out in person at the council offices and booked directly with our Licensing Team on 01252 398855. Our course costs £25, and we run a course at midday on the last Wednesday of every month (due to the Christmas period we have combined the November and December courses and it will take place on 14 December).
- Evidence of your immigration and asylum status, and proof of your right to work in the UK (if not an EU national). Where applicable, we will ask you to provide a share code to prove your right to work status which can be obtained at prove your right to work to an employer - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- A statement of good conduct from any country other than the UK that you have lived in for more than six months, since the age of ten
- If you are applying for a private hire driver's licence, confirmation of the operator that you will be working for
- If you hold or have held a private hire or hackney carriage drivers licence with any authority in the last 12 months, you will need to provide an HMRC tax check code - details of how to obtain this is available at Tax Check
- An enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check certificate. You will need to go to Personnel Checks - DBS Check website to make your application. If you are a member of the DBS Update Service, and have a suitable DBS, you will not need to do this, but will need to show us your original DBS certificate, and sign consent for us to access the update service.
- Provide a share code to allow us access to an online DVLA check of your driving licence record, you can obtain this at View or share your driving licence information - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- A public liability insurance certificate (showing cover to at least £5 million) once all other requirements are met
Please see our policy on handling DBS Disclosure information.
Details of our fees are available on our Taxi licence fees page. If we grant your licence you will need to pay the application fee.
You will normally also need to:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have held a full driving licence for at least 12 months
- Meet the DVLA Group Two medical standards
- Take a knowledge test based on the Highway Code and local familiarity with locations in and around Rushmoor. You will have to pay a fee for each attempt at the test. We will normally allow you to attempt these tests 3 times. You can take a free sample knowledge test online. Knowledge Test sessions are held every Wednesday morning at 10.30am, to book please call 01252 398855. Please note that you can book one session to take all required tests including the literacy and numeracy if necessary.
This is not a comprehensive list of requirements and in some cases, you may have to provide additional information.
You should allow at least 28 days for us to process your application from the initial appointment. However, as we rely on third parties and you passing the knowledge tests, it may take significantly longer.
How to renew your licence
Your licence normally lasts for three years. We will try to contact you before your renewal date, but it is your responsibility to make sure you apply to renew your licence before your current licence expires.
The steps to renew your licence:
- We will speak with you by phone and fill in the renewal application form
- We will then send you the renewal form for you to electronically sign and send back to us, along with details of the other documents required.
- We will book an appointment with you to check your right to work documentation and we will also ask you to email copies of all relevant documents to us
Taxi licensing policy
Please see ourfor more information about how we carry out our taxi licensing functions and responsibilities.