How to apply for a minor variation to your premises licence, such as a change to the opening hours or to the layout of the premises.

If you want to make changes to your opening hours, licensing hours or licensable activities (for example by adding live music nights), you can apply for a minor variation to the premises licence. You can also use this if you want to alter the layout of the premises or change, remove or add conditions to the licence.

If you want to make more significant changes, you will need a full variation.

You can only apply for a minor variation if what you want to do will have no adverse impact on the promotion of any of the four licensing objectives:

  • The prevention of public nuisance
  • The prevention of crime and disorder
  • Public safety
  • The protection of children from harm

You cannot apply for a minor variation to:

  • Extend the period of the licence
  • Transfer the licence from one premises to another
  • Specify an individual as the designated premises supervisor (DPS)
  • Add the sale or supply of alcohol by retail
  • Authorise the sale or supply of alcohol between 11pm and 7am
  • Increase the amount of time during which alcohol may be sold or supplied

How to apply for a minor variation

You can apply online using the GOV.UK website.

Apply for a minor variation to a premises licence

Or you can download the application form below, complete it and return it to us.

We recommend you read the following advice before you apply.

What you need to apply for a minor variation

You must provide the following:

  • A plan of the premises and / or land (if changing)
  • The fee
  • An application form

Plans of the premises and/or land

You must supply a scale plan of the premises. These plans should also be colour-coded for clarity.

Find out about the format required for the plans of premises.


See the alcohol and entertainments fees and charges.

Advertising your application

You must advertise your application with a site notice. For details, please see our how to advertise your application page.

What happens next

We will check that:

  • The application is correctly completed
  • It has been advertised correctly
  • The changes applied for are minor

We will forward your application to those responsible authorities that are relevant (if any), to decide if the change has a negative impact on the promotion of the licensing objectives.

If there is a problem

If there is a problem with the application, we may contact you for further information or return the application (or part of it) for your attention.

What happens if we receive objections to your application

We will refuse your application and if you want to make the change, it will be necessary for you to apply for a full variation.

How long does it take to decide on my application

  • We allow ten working days for objections to your application to be raised
  • If we receive no objections within this period, we will grant the variation
  • If we receive objections, we will refuse your application. If you still want to make the change, you will need to apply for a full variation
  • We will notify of the outcome of your application within five working days of the last date for representations

Contact us

Scroll to the top of the page