The constitution explains how the council makes its decisions and who is responsible for those decisions.
Our constitution is also used to help enable council business and support public involvement in the process of local decision-making.
You can download the constitution as a single document, or read through the separate sections below:
Part 1 - Summary and explanation
A brief summary of what is contained in the constitution and its definitions.
Part 2 - The constitution and how the council operates
Introducing the main parts of political governance at the council and how the council works.
Part 3 - Responsibility for functions
Explaining who within the council has responsibility to exercise various powers and duties. You can also find the the terms of reference for the member level bodies, committees and panels.
- 1. Introduction to Responsibility for Functions
- 2. Executive Functions
- 3. Scheme of Delegation for Executive Matters
- 3. (1) Cabinet Portfolio Responsibilities
- 3. (2) Service Responsibilities
- 3. (3) Corporate Management Team Structure Chart
- 4. Scheme of Delegation for Non Executive Matters
- 5. Role of the Council (Council Functions)
- 6. Roles and Responsibilities of Council Decision Making Committees
- 7. Overview and Scrutiny Committee - Terms of Reference
- 8. Policy and Project Advisory Board - Terms of Reference
- 9. RDP and Housing Company Governance Arrangements
- 10. Councillor Role Descriptions - Special Responsibility Roles
- 11. Roles of Officers
- 12. Proper Officers
- 13. Provisions and Responsibilities for Joint Arrangements
Part 4 - Council procedure rules
Setting out the rules and procedures to be followed by the council to ensure that its decisions and actions are legal, financially sound and carried out in accordance with policy frameworks.
- 1. Standing Orders for the Regulation of Business
- 1A. (Appendix 1) Scheme for Standing Deputies
- 1B. (Appendix 2) Scheme for Cabinet questions at Council
- 1C. (Appendix 3) Scheme for annual reports of the Overview and Scrutiny Committee
- 2. Access to Information Procedure Rules
- 3. Public Speaking Procedure Rules
- 4. Cabinet Procedure Rules
- 5. Overview and Scrutiny Procedure Rules
- 6. Licensing Hearings Protocol and Procedure
- 6A. Taxi Hearings Protocol and Procedure
- 7. Standards Hearing Procedure Rules
- 8. Budget and Policy Framework
- 9. Financial Procedure Rules
- 10. Contract Standing Orders
- 11. Officer Employment Procedure Rules
- 12. Petitions Scheme
Part 5 - Codes and protocols
These are the codes and protocols for members and officers to follow.
- 1. Code of Conduct for Councillors
- Guidance for using Social Media
- 2. Members Planning Code of Good Practice
- 3. Protocol for Member/Officer Relations
- 4. Protocol for Public Community Meetings
- 5. Selection of the Mayor and Deputy Mayor
- 6. Mayoral Protocol
- 7. Appointment of Honorary Aldermen
- 8. Officer Code of Conduct
- 9. Code of Corporate Governance
- 10. Anti Fraud, Bribery and Corruption Policy
- 11. Information Security Policy
- 12. Members Learning and Development Policy