Find out if you need permission from us when carrying out building works to a property.

If you are going to make changes to your home, you need to make sure that the work follows building regulations

If you have planning permission for work to your property, you may also need to have building control permission. The best way to find out if you need permission is to look though the web pages and guides below.

Advice from the Planning portal

There are handy interactive guides on the Planning portal website to help you understand what is included in the building regulations.

Further information is available on our building regulations page.    

Guides from the Hart and Rushmoor Building Control Partnership

The Hart and Rushmoor Building Control Partnership has produced some useful guides on a range of subjects including advice on consent needed for conservatories, kitchens and bathrooms.

What to do next

If your proposal does require our permission, you will need to apply for a building notice or full plans notice.

Planning permission

You may also need planning permission for your proposal. If so, you must have it in place before you start on site. For more information, please see our Do I need planning permission? page.

Contact us

Scroll to the top of the page