What you need to do if you want to demolish all or part of a building.

Getting permission to demolish all, or part, of a building

If you want to demolish all, or part, of a building, you must notify us using a demolition notice form, called Section 80, and we must give you permission. There are very limited exceptions.

A fee of £225 is applicable. This work is VAT exempt, and the fee must be paid on application.

If you start demolition work without giving six weeks' notice or without our permission, we may prosecute you. This is set out in the Building Act 1984.

As well as the information you need to provide on the demolition notice form, you must also tell us:

  • That the work you want to do complies with the Party Wall Act
  • That you have disconnected the gas supply for the building
  • That you have disconnected the electricity supply for the building
  • That you have disconnected the water supply for the building
  • That you will seal drainage from the building or site
  • How you will secure the site following demolition

This applies whether you are the owner or the demolition contractor.

If you want more information on how to serve a demolition notice, please contact our building control team using details below.

When you do not need permission

You do not need to serve a demolition notice if you want to demolish the following:

  • An internal part of a building if the building continues to be occupied
  • Buildings that have an external size of less than 50 cubic metres (this is less than the size of an average double garage)
  • A domestic greenhouse, conservatory, shed or pre-fabricated garage that is an extension to a larger building

Who else you need to tell

As well as notifying us, you must also provide a copy of the demolition notice you serve on us to the following:

  • The owners of any building next to the building to be demolished
  • The gas authority
  • The electricity authority

Demolition that is not part of a planning application

If the demolition is not part of a planning application, you will need to apply for a prior determination under Part 31 of the General Permitted Development Order.  For more information please, contact our planning team using the details below and ask for the duty planning officer.

What we will do

Our building control surveyors may visit the site. They will also make sure that the right people have been notified about the demolition.

If we give you approval for the demolition, we may impose certain conditions, including that you:

  • Make sure there is adequate shoring, repair and weatherproofing of neighbouring buildings
  • Remove rubbish and disconnect, remove or seal drainage
  • Disconnect gas, electricity and water supplies
  • Burn materials on site in a controlled way

If we impose conditions as part of approval, we will do this by serving you with counter notice, under Section 81 of the Building Act 1984. If you fail to meet the conditions, we may prosecute you and if you are convicted, you may be fined.

Asbestos materials

If, during demolition, you find materials of asbestos, you should tell the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) immediately. You, or your demolition contractor, will have to follow the HSE's requirements for removing and disposing of asbestos safely. For more information, please see the Health and Safety Executive's website.

Listed buildings

You cannot demolish a listed building, but if you want to alter it by demolishing part of it, you need formal Listed Building Consent. It is illegal to alter a listed building without permission and if you do so, we may prosecute you.

Conservation areas

If you want to demolish all or a substantial part of a building in a conservation area, you will need Conservation Area Consent.

Contact us

Scroll to the top of the page