If you've done work without building regulation approval, you can apply for retrospective approval. This is called a regularisation application.

When you can apply for retrospective approval

You can apply for retrospective approval for building work, such as extensions or alterations to a property. You can only do this for work carried out after 11 November 1985.


A fee is applicable as set in our fees and charges guidance. There is no VAT payable.

How to apply for retrospective approval

To apply, you will have to complete a regularisation application form , a regularisation certificate for building work and provide a description of the work you have carried out.

You will also need to pay the fee when you apply. If you prefer, you can use our secure online payment system.

Once you've submitted your application

After you have submitted the application, you will need to contact our Building Control team to arrange a time for us to visit the site and inspect the completed work.

Once we have inspected the work, we will tell you if you need to make any changes to comply with the building regulations.

At this point, you may decide that you want to proceed with the application and carry out any work that we have said you need to do, or you may want to return it to its original state. Even if you choose not to proceed with the application, your application fee is not refundable.

For more information or advice, you can contact our building control team using the details below.


Contact us

Scroll to the top of the page