Find out if you need planning permission for building work, household projects and larger home extensions.

Permission in principle

On 1 June 2018, the Town and Country Planning (Permission in Principle) (Amendment) Order 2017 came into effect, offering developers of 'housing-led' developments the opportunity to apply for 'permission in principle'.

As with permitted development (see below), because all land in Rushmoor is close to the Thames Basin Heaths Special Protection Area (SPA), all-housing led development is considered 'habitats development', which is exempt under Article 5B of Part 2A of the order. This means that you cannot obtain permission in principle for development sites in the borough.

Permitted development

You can carry out some extensions and alterations to your home without the need to apply for planning permission under permitted development rights granted by the government. The planning portal website and interactive house guide can be very useful in explaining how this works.

The government has also published Technical Guidance (September 2019), which helps to explain how permitted development rights apply to the particular circumstances or design of your home.

Written guidance cannot cover every circumstance. We encourage agents, developers and householders to discuss their planning proposals with us using our pre-application advice service before applying formally, this can save you time and money.  So if you are in any doubt about permitted development issues, please contact us before you commission, or carry out building work and we can advise you. You can contact us using the details on this page.

When permitted development rights don't apply

The Planning Portal guidance on permitted development rights also gives information on when permitted development rights may be restricted or removed from a property.

If permitted development rights have been removed, for example through a condition attached to the original planning permission for your property, or through the making of an Article 4 direction which removed certain permitted development rights from individual or groups of properties, your project may automatically require planning permission.

Councils can use Article 4 directions to remove permitted development rights. You can find more details about the Article 4 directions in force in Rushmoor on our Article 4 directions and planning permission page.

You may also need to research the original planning permission of your property to find out if permitted development rights have been removed. You can do this at the council offices. If you would like us to do this on your behalf, we charge a fee.

Effect of Special Protection Area on permitted development

As Rushmoor lies within five kilometres of the Thames Basin Heaths Special Protection Area, you also may need planning consent for some developments that don't normally need it.

For more information, please see our permitted development - exceptions page.

Larger home extensions

You can find out about legislation which may allow some householders to build large single storey rear extensions without the need for planning permission.

Free advice on your building project

You can find a full list of projects, case studies and mini-guides on the Planning Portal - Do you need permission? page of the Planning Portal website. You can also use its 'interactive house' feature which gives advice about common building projects. 

Planning portal interactive house graphic

You will find guidance on whether you need planning permission or building regulations for common projects around the home from the following pages on the Planning Portal website:

Please find more information for agents and developers on our pre-application advice page.

How to be sure you don't need planning permission

If you want to be sure you don't need planning permission, please contact us using the contact details on this page. We charge for this service. We will then confirm if you need permission or not.

If your proposal does require planning permission, an officer will explain the planning application process to you, then work with you if you want to apply.

Planning Aid England 

If you feel you need additional, independent advice about getting involved in the planning process, you may be able to get help from Planning Aid England.

They provide free, independent and professional advice on town and country planning issues to community groups and individuals. Planning Aid believes everyone should have the chance to get involved in planning their local area, and provides people with the knowledge and tools to do this.

You will find more information on Planning Aid and the services it offers on the Planning Aid England website.

Planning Aid England logo

Contact us

Scroll to the top of the page