Read about the information you send to us and what we will use it for.

1. Identity of the Data Controller and contact details

Rushmoor Borough Council is the data controller for personal information you provide on application forms and registers, letters of representation, requests to be kept informed about planning matters, responses to consultations, general enquiries, and complaints.  You can contact the Council by phone on 01252 398788, via email to  or by writing to us at Council Offices, Farnborough Road, Farnborough GU14 7JU.  You can contact the Council's Data Protection Officer at

2. What we need your information for and the legal basis for it

We need your personal information to process your application for planning permission or advertisement consent, to consider your representations on applications, your complaints, your responses to enforcement enquiries and your requests for information. In addition, we need your data to process your comments on planning policy documents, requests to be kept informed about their preparation, and for the purposes of the Self-Build and Custom-Build Register.  The law allows us to use your personal information in this way in order to carry out responsibilities under Planning Law, which is one of the Council's public tasks.

3. Use for any other purposes

If we need to use your information for any other purpose, we will normally ask for your permission to do so before using it, unless we believe you know about the new purpose already or there are legal reasons that prevent us from telling you.

4. Will you pass my information to anyone else?

We may share your information with other teams within the Council such as Building Control, Environmental Health, Licensing, Legal Services and Housing in order to provide our services, carry out our public tasks and to keep our records up to date.  If you ask a Councillor for help we may pass information to them and other services to enable them to help you.

We may also pass information about you to third parties where permitted or required by law to do so.  This may include other local authorities and government departments or agencies carrying out their public tasks, such as Hampshire County Council, HMRC and the Police in carrying out criminal investigations or third parties submitting requests under Freedom of Information Legislation (Although personal data is normally exempt from such requests).

5. How we will store and look after your information

Your data will be held electronically and will not be stored in a country outside the UK, however information published on our website is available worldwide. All paper records containing your personal information will be held securely in our filing systems and archives.

6. How long we will retain your information

We will normally keep your details in our current database for as long as we are required to do so by law, or in accordance with our operational requirements. For further information on our policy for retaining personal information, see our retention guidelines.

7. Your rights concerning your information

The General Data Protection Regulation gives you a number of rights concerning your personal information. See the list below. Not all rights apply in every case - it will depend on the legal basis for collecting your information and how we use it.

  • The right to be informed  
  • The right of access  
  • The right to rectification
  • Rights related to automated decision making, including profiling
  • The right to restrict processing
  • The right to data portability
  • The right to object
  • The right to erasure

Further details on these rights can be found on our website

8. Right to complain to the Information Commissioner's Office

If you are not happy with the way the Council is handling your personal information you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office. (ICO).

You will find details of how to do so on the ICO website at or by phoning their helpline on 0303 123 1113.

9. Why we need your information and the consequences of not providing it

We need your information to carry out our responsibilities under Planning Law.  If you do not provide it in respect of an Enforcement Investigation, you may be committing an offence contrary to section 171C(2) and (3) of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.

Contact us

Scroll to the top of the page