Find out how to make minor changes to your club premises certificate.

You can make the changes described below using the minor variation procedure. Otherwise you need to use the full variation procedure.

Notifying us of a change to club rules or name or address

When a club changes its name or registered address, changes the secretary, or alters the rules of the club, you must let us know of the change, in writing, within 28 days.

Minor variation to a certificate

If you want to make changes to your opening hours, licensing hours or licensable activities (for example by adding live music nights), you can apply for a minor variation to the club premises certificate.  You can also use this if you want to alter the layout of the premises or revise, remove or add conditions to the licence.

You can only use the minor variations process for variations that have no adverse impact on the promotion of any of the four licensing objectives:

  • The prevention of public nuisance
  • The prevention of crime and disorder
  • Public safety
  • The protection of children from harm

You cannot use the minor variations process to:

  • Extend the period of the certificate
  • Transfer the certificate from one premises to another
  • Add the supply of alcohol
  • Authorise the supply of alcohol between 11pm and 7am
  • Increase the amount of time during which alcohol may be supplied

You can make the change online using the GOV.UK website.

Or you can download the application form below, complete it and return it to us.

You must send back the club premises certificate when you tell us of these changes.

What you need to apply for a minor variation

You must provide the following:

  • Plan of the premises and / or land (if changing)
  • Fee
  • Application form

We recommend you read the following advice before you apply.

Plans of the premises and/or land

You must supply a scale plan of the premises. These plans should also be colour-coded for clarity.

Find out about the format required for the plans of premises.


See the alcohol and entertainments fees and charges.

Advertising your application

You must advertise your application with a site notice.

How to advertise your application in a local newspaper and with a site notice.

What happens once we receive your application

We will check that:

  • You have completed the application correctly
  • You have advertised it correctly
  • The changes applied for are minor

We will forward your application to those responsible authorities that are relevant (if any), to determine if the change has a negative impact on the promotion of the licensing objectives.

If there is a problem with the application

If there is a problem with the application, we may contact you for further information or return the application (or part of it) for your attention.

What happens if we receive objections to your application

We will refuse your application and if you want to make the change, it will be necessary for you to apply for a full variation.

Contact us

Scroll to the top of the page