Find out how to make major changes to your club premises certificate.

If the change you require is not described as a minor variation, then you will need to apply for a full variation, as described below.

Variation of club premises certificate

You can apply online using the GOV.UK website.

Or you can download the application form below, complete it and return it to us.

You must send back the club premises certificate when you apply to make changes.

We recommend you read the following advice before you apply.

What you need to apply for a variation

You must provide the following:

  • Operating schedule
  • Plan of the premises and/or land (if changing)
  • Fee
  • Application form

We recommend you read the following advice before you apply.

Operating schedule

The operating schedule explains how you propose to operate. It includes:

  • What activities will take place
  • The proposed hours
  • If alcohol will be consumed on or off the premises
  • What steps you will take to promote the licensing objectives set out in the Licensing Act 2003:
    • Prevention of crime and disorder
    • Ensuring public safety
    • Prevention of public nuisance
    • Protection of children from harm

Find out how to write an operating schedule.

Plans of the premises and/or land

If the plans of the premises are changing, you must supply a scale plan of the premises. These plans should also be colour-coded for clarity.

Find out about the format required for the plans of premises.


The fee is based on the non-domestic rateable value of the premises. You must pay the correct fee on application.

See the alcohol and entertainments fees and charges.

Additional fees

  • If more than 5,000 people are allowed on the premises under the licence arrangements, an additional fee is due

Notifying responsible authorities

You must submit a full copy of the application and all accompanying documents to each of the 'responsible authorities', such as the chief police officer or the fire and rescue authority,  on the day you apply. If you apply online, this is done as part of the process.

You can find a  full list of responsible authorities with contact details on our useful licensing contacts page.

If you do not do this, your application will be invalid.

The responsible authorities and any other person have 28 days to object to your application.

Advertising your application

You must advertise your application in the local newspaper and with a site notice.

How to advertise your application in a local newspaper and with a site notice.

What happens next

We will check that:

  • You have completed the application
  • The responsible authorities have a copy
  • You have advertised it correctly

If there is a problem with the application

If there is a problem with the application, we may contact you for further information or return the application (or part of it) for your attention.

What happens if we receive objections to your application

We will hold a hearing of our licensing sub-committee to decide on the application (unless all parties agree that a hearing is not necessary). We will tell you about the arrangements for the hearing.

The sub-committee may choose to grant or refuse the application, amend the activities/times or apply conditions.

How long it will take to decide on your application

  • We allow 28 days for objections to your application to be raised
  • If we receive no objections within this period, we will grant your licence on the following day
  • If we need to hold a hearing this will take place within 20 working days (after the last date for objections). We will give you at least ten working days' notice of the date of the hearing

If we refuse your application

If we refuse the application, we will tell you of our decision in writing, together with the reasons for refusal and your rights of appeal.

We will also tell you what you need to do to appeal and the time in which you have to do it.


Contact us

Scroll to the top of the page