Clinical and hazardous waste collection

Arrange a clinical waste collection and find out how to deal with hazardous waste.

Clinical waste collection

We offer a free collection of certain types of clinical waste for our residents, when referred by a healthcare professional.

Clinical waste includes:

  • Soiled surgical dressings, swabs and other similar soiled waste
  • Sharps and needles of any kind
  • Identifiable human tissue
  • Blood

You must put any sharp items in an official sharps box.  You can put other clinical waste into special orange-coloured clinical waste sacks.  If you do not have a box or bag and you need one, please contact our customer services team using the details on this page.

We can only collect clinical waste that has been formally requested by a healthcare professional.  If you need to arrange a collection and have not been referred by your healthcare worker already, please ask them to complete a healthcare waste referral form and send it to us.  Your healthcare worker should have a copy of this form.

Collections from businesses

We do not offer collections from businesses.

What you don't need a clinical waste collection for

You will not need a clinical waste collection for:

  • Bed pan contents
  • Bed pan liners
  • Nappies and incontinence pads
  • Stoma bags and urine containers where there is no risk of blood contamination

You can dispose of these items carefully with your household waste.

What container to use

You can use sharps boxes for:

  • Syringes
  • Needles
  • Epi-pens
  • Dialysis waste
  • Small swabs and dressings

You can use sacks for larger items.

When we collect

We offer one-off or ongoing collections on a Tuesday morning.

Ongoing collections are for residents who produce a lot of clinical waste and need regular, weekly collections.

One-off collections are for residents who only produce a small amount of waste and will contact us when their box or sack is full and needs collecting.

Book a clinical waste collection or delivery This link opens in a new browser window 

Alternatively, you can call us by 5pm on the Monday before. You can do this using the contact details on this page.

Hazardous household waste

You cannot dispose of hazardous waste with your normal household rubbish. Hazardous waste that you might have at home includes:

  • Garden chemicals
  • Bleach, or other strong cleaners and disinfectants
  • Gas bottles
  • Solvents (including paint strippers/thinners)

You can take it to selected household waste recycling centres .

Did you find what you were looking for?Did you find what you were looking for?
    1. We use your views to improve our website. If you have a query about our services, please email

    1. We use your views to improve our website. If you have a query about our services, please email


Customer Services
Tel: 01252 398399
View full details


A - Z of Council Services