We can help if your landlord refuses to do repairs to your home or if you are worried about the condition of your home.

What you should do if you have a problem with your home

If you need repairs to your rented home, you should report it in writing to your landlord, this can be by text, email or letter, please keep a copy as evidence that you have done this. If your landlord does not carry out the repairs in a reasonable time, please let us know by completing our online form below and we will look into the issue.  Alternatively, you can phone us using the contact details on this page.

What we will do

We will discuss the problems or hazards with you over the phone and may ask you to send us some photos. If necessary we may still visit your home and carry out an assessment. We will let your landlord know what work needs to be done. We use the Housing health and safety rating system and the Housing Act 2004  to assess hazards.

If the problem is serious, we can serve a formal notice on your landlord asking for the work to be done.

If your landlord does not comply with the formal notice, he or she may be liable to prosecution or a civil penalty. Please see our Housing civil penalty policy for more information

Dealing with harassment from your landlord

If your landlord harasses you or asks you to leave without proper notice, let us know. You can do this by contacting our housing options team using the contact details on this page. We will give you support and advice.

Action you can take

You have the right to take your own legal action if your landlord fails to keep your property in a good condition. This right comes from the Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018.

You can apply to the courts for damages for the harm caused by your property being unfit. The court can also order your landlord to make the property fit. 

For more details, see the guide for tenants on the GOV.UK website.

Contact us

Scroll to the top of the page