Set up or join a Neighbourhood Watch scheme in your area.
Neighbourhood Watch is a partnership of residents working with police and other agencies to reduce crime and the fear of crime in their community.
Reasons to join a Neighbourhood Watch scheme
- As a Neighbourhood Watch member, you are far less likely to be a victim of crime
- You can improve the safety of your home and your belongings
- You may get cheaper home insurance
For your community:
- Criminals find it harder to commit crime
- Working together with friends and neighbours, boosts community spirit
- It helps the police to reduce crime and bring criminals to justice
Setting up a Neighbourhood Watch scheme
The usual steps to set up your own scheme:
- Check if a local scheme already exists on the Neighbourhood Watch or try the Hampshire Alert websites
- Talk to your neighbours to see if they are interested
- Talk to a coordinator of an existing neighbourhood watch scheme
- Set up a residents' meeting
- Decide on a coordinator, deputy or perhaps a committee to keep the scheme running
- Decide on the issues you wish to tackle
- Register your scheme
Neighbourhood Watch schemes can be large and cover a whole estate, or small for example, just six houses. The scheme is usually led by a coordinator who is the link between residents, other local schemes and the police.