Find out and apply for a permit to place tables and chairs on the public highway.

Temporary pavement licence

In response to the COVID-19 pandemic the government have introduced a temporary pavement licensing scheme.

Please read through our temporary pavement licence page first, to see if this is more appropriate licence for your business.

You will need a permit if you would like to place tables and chairs on the public highway. The Highways Act 1980 S115E regulates this.

You may also need to get planning permission. Contact our Planning team for more details.

Please see our policy for permits to place tables and chairs on the highway and our standard conditions for permits to place tables and chairs on the highway.

Applications open to public consultation

There are currently no applications open to public consultation.

How to apply for a tables and chairs permit

You can apply online for a tables and chairs permit using the GOV.UK website.

Or you can download the application form below, complete it and return it to us.

You need to supply:

  • Completed application form
  • Location and site layout plan
  • Sketch, photograph or manufacturer's brochure showing the furniture proposed
  • Public liability insurance certificate (minimum of £10million cover)
  • Evidence of planning consent (optional).
  • Written consent of adjacent owners / occupiers (optional)
  • Premises licence if alcohol is to be consumed
  • The fee of £187

Inspections and assessments

We will visit the location where you hope to site the furniture to make sure there is not a problem.

What happens once we receive your application

We will consider each application on its own merits. We will look at:

  • The available space
  • The type and character of the street
  • The kind of furniture proposed
  • The flow of pedestrians
  • Any possible hazards

As part of the application:

  • We will display a public notice of the application (at the site and online) detailing the proposal and deadline for objections, which is 28 days after the application was submitted
  • All objections received will be considered
  • Any other relevant parties will be consulted
  • Consents will not be unreasonably withheld

All furniture must meet design specifications.

How to appeal our decision

Please contact us in the first instance. We may be able to help.

We can also ask an independent arbitrator to check if our decision was fair.

How to renew your permit

Permits are valid for one year and to renew, you must apply again.

How to tell us of changes

You must tell us if there are changes in the type, style and number of items you are placing on the highway, or if the details of the permit holder change.

You can tell us of changes online using the GOV.UK website:

Customer complaints

If you have a complaint against a trader, we advise you contact them by letter (with proof of delivery) or complain to us, using the contact details on the right.

In addition if you are in the UK, Citizens Advice will give you advice.

For outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

If you don't have a table and chairs permit

If you don't have a tables and chairs permit, you are at risk of enforcement action, prosecution and a fine up to £1000. Hampshire County Council's highways department enforces this.

Additional Information and Guidance

Contact us

Scroll to the top of the page