Discover what activities require a premises licence and how to apply.

Pages within Premises licences

About premises licences

Any premises where gambling facilities are provided must have a premises licence, issued under the Gambling Act 2005. Premises licences may also allow the use of certain categories of Gaming machines.

Under the Gambling Act 2005 we are the licensing authority for:

  • Betting shops
  • Betting at tracks 
  • Bingo halls
  • Casinos
  • Adult gaming centres (arcades for over 18s which have category B Gaming machines)
  • Family entertainment centres (family arcades which can only provide category C and D Gaming machines).

Except in the case of a track (for example, horse racecourse or dog track), a premises licence cannot allow the use of premises for more than one of the activities listed above. Only one licence can be held.

Contact us

Scroll to the top of the page