Find out what temporary event notices are, their limitations and how to apply for one.

If you want to hold a temporary 'licensable activity' anywhere in Rushmoor, you must tell us through a TEN, a minimum of five working days before the event.

The 'licensable activities' include:

  • Selling alcohol
  • Supplying alcohol on behalf of a club
  • Providing 'regulated entertainment' (such as theatre, cinema, live or recorded music and indoor sports events)
  • Providing late night refreshments between 11pm and 5am

You can get a TEN for any premises, including:

  • Those that are not currently licensed
  • Licensed premises that want to alter their licence conditions for a short time

Events can be indoors, outdoors or a mixture of both.

The number of days' notice given before an event takes place determines if the notice is a standard or a late TEN.

Standard temporary event notice

A standard TEN is a temporary event notice given no later than ten working days before the event. The day we receive the TEN and the day of the event are not counted as one of the working days.

Late temporary event notice

A late TEN is a temporary event notice given between five and nine working days before the event. The day we receive the TEN and the day of the event are not counted as one of the working days.

Limitations of a temporary event notice

If you are aged 18 or over, you may give us a temporary event notice, with the following limitations:

  • Any premises or piece of land can only hold 15 TENs each calendar year (1 January to 31 December) 
  • The maximum length of an event is 168 hours (seven days)
  • The combined total of TENs at any premises must not exceed 21 days a year 
  • Non-personal licence holders can only apply for five TENs a year, two of which can be late TENs
  • Personal licence holders can apply for up to 50 TENs a year, ten of which can be late TENs
  • The maximum number of people in the area covered by the TEN must not be more than 499 at any given time
  • There must be at least 24 hours between any two TENs at the same premises, by the same premises user or an associate

Any TEN that goes beyond these limitations is void. If you want to hold events that exceed these limitations, you need to apply for either a premises' licence or a club premises' certificate.

How to apply for a temporary event notice

You can apply online for a TEN using the GOV.UK website.

Or you can download the application form below, complete it and return it to us.

If the premises is covered by two or more local authorities, you must apply to each.

We recommend you read the following advice before you apply.

Information needed for the notice

You need to include the following details:

  • The premises user
  • The premises
  • The event date and times
  • The maximum number of people attending the event
  • For an open-air event, a plan showing the area to be covered by the TEN (this can be by grid reference)

Requirement for an event management plan and/or risk assessment

When you are organising an event, you need to make sure you protect the health and safety of your employees, the public and anyone else who may be affected by your activities.

You must show how you will comply with health and safety law and guidance by carrying out a health and safety risk assessment. Please see the guidance from the HSE - managing risks and risk assessment at work.

All Event Organisers are expected to be cognisant of the HCC Events guidance and build this into their event planning accordingly

In some cases, where your event is more complex, has high visitor numbers or higher risk activities, it may be appropriate to include your risk assessment as part of an event management plan.

You may be asked to submit a copy of your plan and/or risk assessment in order for us to be sure that you are compliant with these requirements, therefore we would recommend that they are submitted as part of your application.

To allow suitable time for review of documents and any guidance you need to provide, we ask that wherever possible, plans and applications are submitted to us no later that 21 days before the event.

Also see events guidance for suppliers of security on the GOV.UK website.

Cost of a temporary event notice

See our alcohol and entertainments fees and charges.

Serving notice on us

Unless you apply online, we will acknowledge receipt by stamping the TEN and sending it back to you on the first working day after we receive it, or by the end of the second if it arrives at a weekend. This acknowledgement is your proof that the notice has been properly served on us. Online applications will be acknowledged electronically.

Serving notice on the police and our environmental health team

Unless you apply online, you must give a copy of the notice to the police and our environmental health (pollution control) team at the same time as you submit it to us. See our useful licensing contacts for details. Online applications will be automatically forwarded to the police and our environmental health (pollution control) team.

Objections to a temporary event notice

For a standard TEN, if the police or our environmental health team have concerns about the likely impact of the event on the licensing objectives, they can object. They must do this within three working days of receiving the TEN.

Where we receive an objection, we must hold a hearing with councillors (the Licensing Sub-Committee) to decide if the event can go ahead. If the sub-committee refuse the TEN, we will issue a counter notice and the event will not be allowed to go ahead. If the premises, where the event is planned to take place, is subject to a premises' licence or club premises' certificate, the Licensing Sub-Committee may allow the event to go ahead, subject to some, or all, of the conditions on that premises licence or club premises certificate.

We must make a decision at least 24 hours before the beginning of the event.

For late TENs, there is no right to a hearing and we will serve a counter notice, and the event will not be allowed to go ahead if the police or our environmental health team have objections.

Modifying the temporary event notice

The police or our environmental health team can modify a TEN with your consent. The TEN becomes valid in the modified form.

How to appeal against a counter notice

For a standard TEN, if we have issued a counter notice, you can appeal against this decision to the local magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision, but no later than five working days before the planned event.

There is no right of appeal if we issue a counter notice for a late TEN.

Register of temporary event notices

We hold a register of temporary event notices. Please contact us using the details below to see who is on the register.

Contact us

Scroll to the top of the page