Employers have a responsibility to report certain accidents or incidents at your place of work.

Recording accidents and ill health at work is a legal requirement. The information helps to identify where and how risks arise. This in turn allows employers to put measures in place to prevent accidents recurring.

The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 - RIDDOR places a legal duty to report certain accidents or incidents to the relevant Enforcing Authority. This duty falls to:

  • Employers
  • Self-employed people
  • People in control of premises

You will find more information about RIDDOR on the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) website.

The HSE has also produced a guide to the reporting accidents and incidents at work.

Why are accidents reported under RIDDOR important

  • Reporting certain accidents and ill health at work is a legal requirement
  • The information enables us to  identify where and how risks arise
  • It enables us to investigate serious accidents
  • We can then help you and provide advice on how to reduce injury, and ill health in your workplace

What should be reported

RIDDOR applies to all work activities but not all incidents are reportable. You must report:

  • Deaths
  • Major injuries
  • Injuries where an employee or self-employed person is away from work or unable to perform their normal work duties for more than seven consecutive days
  • Injuries to members of the public or people not at work, where they have been taken from the scene of an accident to hospital
  • Some work-related diseases
  • Dangerous incidents - where something happens that does not result in an injury, but could have done

How to report an accident or incident

You can report incidents on line on the HSE website.

To report a death or major injury, you can call the HSE's incident contact centre on 0345 300 9923 (opening hours Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm).

Contact us

Scroll to the top of the page