You will need to show photographic identification to vote at your polling station.

If you usually vote at a polling station, you will need to show photo ID before we can give you your ballot paper. This is a new requirement that has come in from the government.

Photo ID that you can use to vote

You probably will already have some photo ID that you can show us. You can use any of the following:

  • Passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state or a Commonwealth country
  • Driving licence issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or an EEA state
  • Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card)
  • Older Person’s Bus Pass
  • Disabled Person’s Bus Pass
  • Blue Badge

Other photo ID that you can use

  • Biometric immigration document
  • Identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards Scheme hologram (a PASS card)
  • National identity card issued by an EEA state
  • Oyster 60+ Card
  • Freedom Pass
  • Voter Authority Certificate or a temporary Voter Authority Certificate (please see below)

For the full list of photo ID we can accept, please visit the Electoral Commission website.

Expired photo ID

If your photo ID has expired we will still accept it, as long as the photograph is still a good likeness of you and the name on the ID matches the name you used when you registered to vote.

Voter Authority Certificates

If you do not have any of the above accepted forms of photo ID, you can use a Voter Authority Certificate. This is a free photo ID document that can only be used for voting.

You can also contact our elections team using the details below and we will organise an appointment with you to complete an application at the Council Offices.

Contact us

Elections and electoral registration

Scroll to the top of the page