Listed buildings

There are around 100 listed buildings in Rushmoor, ranging from simple timber farmhouses to substantial military buildings, memorials and monuments.

Listed buildings

The Historic England website tells you if a building is listed, provides the building's grade, the date of listing, a location map and the listing itself.

Grading of listed buildings

Listed buildings are graded to show their importance nationally. All grades are nationally important and are therefore, equally protected:

  • Grade I buildings are those of exceptional interest
  • Grade II* are particularly important buildings of more than special interest
  • Grade II are of special interest, warranting every effort to preserve them. Most listed buildings fall into this grade

How much of the building is listed

The listing includes:

  • The whole of the building, inside and out
  • Anything fixed to the building, even if it is a modern extension
  • Any object or structure in the grounds that was there before 1948, even if not fixed to the listed building. This is likely to include boundary/garden walls, gates, railings, and outbuildings
  • Internal features, such as staircases, fireplaces or panelling that are also important and reflect the building's original use and designation

What type of work requires consent

You will need to apply for listed building consent if you want to demolish, alter or extend a listed building.  It is an offence to carry out such work without consent.

For example, you need listed building consent for:

  • Partial or total demolition of the building, or a building or structure in the area immediately around the building - this is known as the curtilage
  • External alterations: extensions, replacement of windows and doors, dismantling chimney stacks, changes to materials or finishes such as painting and rendering
  • Internal alterations: removal or addition of walls, features, such as beams, fireplaces
  • Forming new, or blocking existing, openings
  • Damp-proofing, cavity wall insulation and other non-reversible insulation

You are also likely to need consent to install antennas, satellite dishes, meter boxes, burglar alarms, security and other floodlighting, video cameras and central heating and other flues.

This list is not comprehensive and is for information purposes only.  If you want to get definitive confirmation about whether you require consent, please contact us and provide photographs.

A stitch in time - advice for building owners A Stitch In Time - advice for building owners

The booklet pdf icon A Stitch In Time [2Mb] is advice for building owners prepared by the Institute of Historic Building Conservation (IHBC) in association with the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings (SPAB).

The Caring For Your Home website offers an accessible guide to looking after your home.

Repairs to a listed building

A small-scale replacement in like-for-like materials may not require consent. Write to us for confirmation if you are not sure, as unauthorised work may lead to prosecution.

Getting advice from conservation experts

The Society for the Protection of Ancient Building's technical advice line offers free impartial advice from conservation experts.

The line is open from 9.30am to 12.30pm, Monday to Friday on 020 7456 0913.

Double-glazing and secondary glazing in a listed building

Double-glazing, whether it's PVCu, aluminium or timber is not a traditional method and likely to harm the significance of the building, as well as resulting in the loss of original windows and would therefore not be acceptable.

We may give permission for secondary glazing, as long as its visual impact is limited and it would not harm the listed building.

Listed building applications

A heritage impact statement should accompany an application that affects a listed building or a conservation area.

Grants and funding

Unfortunately, we are unable to offer grants to help finance work to a listed building or a building within a conservation area.

VAT and listed buildings

As long as as a VAT-registered builder carries out the work with listed building consent, you may not have to pay VAT on the cost of altering a listed building. This does not apply to repairs or ordinary maintenance.

For more information, please contact HM Revenues and Customs or call their advice service on 0300 200 3700.

How to ask for a building to be listed or delisted

Historic England is responsible for administering the listing system. Anyone can  apply for a building to be listed or delisted.

Did you find what you were looking for?Did you find what you were looking for?
    1. We use your views to improve our website. If you have a query about our services, please email

    1. We use your views to improve our website. If you have a query about our services, please email


A - Z of Council Services