When you make a claim for housing benefit or council tax support, you have certain responsibilities for the lifetime of that claim.

Completing a claim form

Your responsibilities:

  • Read and understand your claim form thoroughly
  • Answer every question
  • Give full information, without missing details that we have asked for
  • Read and understand the declaration at the end of the form

If you live with your partner (same or opposite sex), you both have to provide accurate information.

Receiving letters from us about your claim

We will write to you when we have assessed your claim and every time we make a change to your claim. You have responsibilities when you receive a letter from us:

  • Read the letter
  • Check that any details shown are correct. For example, your income details
  • Inform us straight away if anything is not correct

For more information on checking your letters, see our page Letters about your benefit claim.

Telling us about a change of circumstances

You must tell us in writing, by telephone or email straight away if your circumstances change. Some examples of changes you must tell us about are:

  • Someone moves into, or out of, your home
  • Your income changes
  • There are changes in the benefits you receive
  • Your rent changes
  • You change address

These are just some examples. See our Changes that could affect your benefit page for more information.           

Some of these changes may also mean that you will have to claim Universal Credit instead of housing benefit. Please see our page on Universal Credit for more information.

Additional information

Contact us

Scroll to the top of the page