How to become a councillor

Find out who can become a councillor and how to stand for election.

A councillor represents the people of an area of Aldershot or Farnborough, known as a ward. There are 13 wards in Aldershot and Farnborough.

To become a councillor

To become a councillor, you need to stand as a candidate at an election for a particular ward.

In Rushmoor, we normally have elections three out of four years when one councillor for each ward is elected. The elections are usually held on the first Thursday in May, the next one being on 5 May 2022.

This means that if you are successful, you will serve for four years. At the end of four years, you will need to stand for re-election if you want to continue.

You can find more about what it's like to be a councillor on the Be a councillor website.

Who can be a candidate

You can be a candidate if:

  • You are aged 18 years or over
  • You are a British, Commonwealth or Irish citizen or a citizen of another member state of the European Union

You also need to meet one or more of the following conditions:

  • You are registered as a voter in Rushmoor
  • You are the owner or tenant of any land or premises in Rushmoor
  • Your main or only place of work for the last 12 months or more has been in Rushmoor
  • You have lived in Rushmoor for the last 12 months

You cannot become a candidate if:

  • You work for Rushmoor Borough Council or you work in what is known as a politically restricted post for another council
  • You are an un-discharged bankrupt
  • You have served time in prison in the last five years
  • You have been disqualified from being a councillor because of previous corrupt or illegal practices

How to become a candidate

For borough council elections, there is usually a candidates and agents briefing held in the middle of March. If you would like to be added to the contact list for the briefings, please email the elections team using the details on this page. 

Six weeks before an election, we publish a Notice of Election.

At that time, a proposer, a seconder and eight local people will need to nominate you as a candidate for a particular ward. These people must all live in the ward where you are standing for election.

Once we have published the Notice of Election, you can get a nomination form from our elections team, who you can contact using the contact details on this page. You do not have to pay anything for the nomination.

You will need to fill in the nomination form and return it to us by the deadline.

If you belong to a political party, it may help you with your application and other parts of the process. If you're standing as an independent, you can contact us for advice.

You can also find more information and advice on the Electoral Commission - Candidates and Agents Guidance website.

You will probably be standing against other candidates. On election day, you will need to win more votes than them to be elected as the local councillor.

Did you find what you were looking for?Did you find what you were looking for?
    1. We use your views to improve our website. If you have a query about our services, please email

    1. We use your views to improve our website. If you have a query about our services, please email


Committee Services
Tel: 01252 398827
View full details

Elections and electoral registration
Tel: 01252 398824
View full details


A - Z of Council Services