How to apply for an environmental permit.

Apply online

The easiest way is to apply online using the GOV.UK website:


You must pay the fee when you apply for a licence. If you apply online, you can pay online.

If you apply by post, you can send us a cheque made payable to Rushmoor Borough Council.

You will also need to pay an annual fee for your permit.

You will find Environmental permit fees on the GOV.UK website..

Getting advice before you apply

Before you apply, we would recommend that you contact our environmental health team for advice. You can do so using the contact details on this page.

We can advise you on what information or evidence you need to provide and how we will deal with your application. Where possible, we will carry out a pre-application site visit to assess the proposals.

What happens after you apply

We will make sure that you have provided all the information we need within ten working days. If we need more information, we will let you know. If you do not provide it, we will treat your application as withdrawn.

If you are applying for a waste operation, you must get planning permission first. For details, see our apply for planning permission page.

In considering your application, we will take into account the potential impact on the environment, with the aim, in particular, of preventing or reducing air, water and land pollution.

We may tell the public about your application and we must consider their comments. We may also visit the site.

To approve your permit, we must be satisfied that the application is from the operator and that the operator will run the business according to the environmental permit.

The decision on your application

We must decide your application within four months of receiving it. For waste oil burners and dry cleaners, we must decide within three months. If we need more information to make our decision, it may take longer.

If you don't hear from us within four months

You cannot assume that we have granted your permit - this is sometimes known as 'tacit consent' - as it is in the public interest for us to process your application before we give you consent.

If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us using the contact details on the right of this page.

If we refuse your application or impose conditions

Please contact us first so that we can discuss the reasons for our decision.

If we refuse an application for a new permit or to vary, transfer or surrender an existing one, you can appeal to the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs. You can also appeal against conditions that we impose on the permit when we grant it. You must do this within six months of our decision.

If we vary the conditions of your existing permit, issue a suspension notice or an enforcement notice against it, you have two months from the date of variation or notice to appeal our decision to the Secretary of State.

For details, please contact:

The Planning Inspectorate
Environment Team, Major & Specialist Casework
Room 4/04 Kite Wing
Temple Quay House
2 The Square
Temple Quay
Bristol BS1 6PN

Tel: 0117 372 8726
Fax: 0117 372 8139

Renewing a permit

The permit lasts for an indefinite period but we will review it every four to six years. We may also visit the site periodically to check you are complying with the permit conditions.

Annual fee

You will have to pay a fee and fill in a form every year for your permit. You can pay an annual subsistence charge under Environmental Permitting regulations online using the GOV.UK website.

If you prefer, you can contact us to ask for a paper application form.

For details of the Environmental permit fees, see the GOV.UK website.

Changes of circumstances

You will need to tell us of any change to the permit. This includes if you want to vary, transfer or surrender the permit.

You can apply to change an environmental permit online using the GOV.UK website.

Dealing with complaints - advice for the public

If you have a complaint against a trader, we would advise you first to contact the trader, preferably by letter (with proof of delivery). If that does not work and you are in the UK, the Citizens Advice will give you advice. If you are outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Register of environmental permit holders

For a summary of the register of permit holders, see our Public register of permitted installations.

You can also make an appointment to see the full public register for free at the council offices.

Contact us

Scroll to the top of the page