If you have been served with an improvement notice or a prohibition notice, you have a right to appeal

We serve improvement notices and prohibition notices under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.

How to appeal against an improvement notice or a prohibition notice

You can appeal to an employment tribunal.

When we serve the notice, we will explain to the duty holder:

  • How you can appeal the decision. We will give you a form with which to appeal
  • Where, and within what period, you can appeal
  • What action you must take while the appeal is pending (this does not apply to prohibition notices)

You can find more information in the Making an appeal to an employment tribunal against an improvement, prohibition or enforcement notice in health and safety related matters appeal form (T420) .

You can also call the employment tribunal enquiry line on 0300 123 1024.

There is also information available on the GOV.UK website and the HM Courts and Tribunal Service website.

Contact us

Scroll to the top of the page