Death and bereavement

Help and advice on what to do when someone dies.

What to do when someone dies

When someone dies, it can be a daunting task to sort out what needs to be done, including registering the death, making funeral arrangements and dealing with the person's financial affairs.

The death and bereavement section of the GOV.UK website can help you through this difficult time.

Registering a death in Aldershot and Farnborough

You can go to any register office to register a death, but It is best to use the one in the area where the person died.  The Aldershot Register Office is in Aldershot Library at 109 High Street, Aldershot, Hampshire.

'Tell us once' service

This Hampshire-based service lets you tell various government departments about a death, all at the same time.  The Registrar will give you the link to the website where you can securely share information with the Department for Work and Pensions who can pass on this information to a number of other government departments and council services including:

  • Identity and Passport Service
  • DVLA
  • Council Tax
  • Housing benefits
  • Libraries

More information is available on Hampshire County Council's  Tell us once web page, or by calling 0800 085 7308.

Organising a funeral in Aldershot or Farnborough

For information on organising a cremation, see our pages on the Aldershot Crematorium.

For information on burials, see our pages on cemeteries in Aldershot and Farnborough.

Our bereavement services team can give you help and advice on organising a funeral in Rushmoor.  You can contact them using the contact details on this page.

Did you find what you were looking for?Did you find what you were looking for?
    1. We use your views to improve our website. If you have a query about our services, please email

    1. We use your views to improve our website. If you have a query about our services, please email


A - Z of Council Services