Driver's licence

You will need a hackney carriage (taxi) or private hire (minicab) driver's licence before you can operate as a driver in Rushmoor.

How to apply for a licence

Contact a member of the licensing team using the contact details on this page to book an appointment to apply for your licence. You will need to bring the following with you when you attend your appointment:

  • Valid passport (if you do not have one, please bring your original birth certificate)
  • A statement of good conduct from any country other than the UK that you have lived in for more than six months since the age of ten
  • An up-to-date, original and valid driving licence
  • A utility bill or bank statement dated within the last three months
  • pdf icon Taxi driver medical application form [331kb] completed by your GP
  • The relevant Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) fee. Details of our fees are available on our Taxi licence fees page.  Read through our pdf icon Policy on Handling DBS Disclosure Information [70kb].  If we grant your licence you will also need to pay the application fee.
  • Proof of your National Insurance number, like a  payslip or HM Revenue and Customs letter
  • A qualification certificate showing that your literacy and numeracy skills meet the equivalent of Entry Level One literacy and Entry Level Two numeracy initial assessments. Please note, if you do not have a qualification certificate, you will have the chance to take a test at your appointment
  • Proof that you have passed a driving standards and proficiency assessment for driving a hackney carriage/private hire vehicle and the additional wheelchair element (where relevant). This must be dated within six months of your appointment with us. The Blue Lamp Trust is an approved supplier of both the driving assessment and wheelchair element
  • Evidence of your immigration and asylum status, and proof of your right to work in the UK (if not an EU national)
  • If you are applying for a private hire driver's licence, confirmation of the operator that you will be working for

You will normally also need to:

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Have held a full driving licence for at least 12 months
  • Meet the DVLA Group Two medical standards
  • Take a knowledge test based on the Highway Code and local familiarity with locations in and around Rushmoor. You can take a sample knowledge test online. Please note, the application fee includes one test taken at your initial appointment  - you will have to pay an additional fee if you take more attempts. We will normally allow you a maximum of three attempts at these tests
  • Take a literacy and numeracy test, if you have not provided an equivalent qualification certificate to show that you meet the required standard. Please note, the application fee includes one test taken at your initial appointment - you will have to pay an additional fee if you have attempts
  • Go through a Disclosure and Barring Service check (this generally takes a minimum of four weeks)
  • Provide a public liability insurance certificate (showing cover to at least £5 million) once all other requirements are met
  • Provide access to an online DVLA check of your driving licence record

Please note that this is not a comprehensive list of requirements and in some cases, you may have to provide additional information.

You should allow at least 28 days for us to process your application from the initial appointment. However, as we rely on third parties and you passing the knowledge tests, it may take significantly longer.

How to renew your licence

Your licence normally lasts for three years. We will try to contact you before your renewal date, but it is your responsibility to make sure you apply to renew your licence before your current licence expires.

Did you find what you were looking for?Did you find what you were looking for?
    1. We use your views to improve our website. If you have a query about our services, please email

    1. We use your views to improve our website. If you have a query about our services, please email


A - Z of Council Services