Help to adapt your home

We offer grants to adapt your home if you, or a member of your family, is disabled. These are known as Disabled Facility Grants and Adaptation Grants.

Who can apply for help

You can apply for help if you are unable to use your bathing and toilet facilities or you are unable to move around freely inside your home because of your disability or poor health.

How to apply for help

To apply, you need to contact the occupational therapy team at Hampshire County Council on 0300 5551378.

A member of the  team  will carry out a short telephone assessment and tell you what happens next. This may include a visit to your home, where, as part of your assessment, the occupational therapist will give you a Disabled Facility Grant enquiry form to fill in and return to the council offices.  If you have problems with completing the form, please contact our private sector housing team using the details on this page and we will arrange to come to your home to help you.

The occupational therapist will then decide what adaptations are required and will send a referral to us to see if we can help you with the cost of the works.

What the grants cover

The grant will cover anything that the occupational therapist thinks you need to help you remain independent in your home. This could be a stairlift, a level access shower, ramps or, in some cases, an extension to provide a specialist room for your use.

Amount of grant available

You can get a grant of up to £30,000, but you will be means tested to see if you need to pay anything towards the cost of the work. By means testing, we mean that we will consider :

  • If you receive Income Support, Guaranteed Pension Credit, council tax support or Working Tax Credit
  • Your income and savings
Did you find what you were looking for?Did you find what you were looking for?
    1. We use your views to improve our website. If you have a query about our services, please email

    1. We use your views to improve our website. If you have a query about our services, please email


Private sector housing
Tel: 01252 398980
View full details


A - Z of Council Services