Register a food business

All you need to know to register your food business with us.

Why you must register your food business

The law says that any premises used for a food business must be registered.

This means that to store, prepare, distribute or sell food on premises in Aldershot and Farnborough you must register with us. 

As well as being the law, the register allows us to keep an up-to-date list of all the premises in our area so that we can visit them when we need to. How often we visit will depend on the degree of risk involved.

Who needs to register

If you run a food business, you must tell us about any premises you use for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food.

Food premises include:

  • Restaurants, cafes, takeaways, hotels and guest houses
  • Childminders
  • Shops and supermarkets
  • Staff canteens and kitchens in offices
  • Food warehouses
  • Delivery vehicles 
  • Market and other stalls, for example those selling hot dogs or ice cream
  • Vans and fast food mobile vehicles, etc.

If you have a mobile food vehicle, you need to register it where it is stored when you are not trading, such as at your home address overnight. 

When to register your food business

Anyone starting a new food business must register with us at least 28 days before opening up for the first time.

How to register your food business

For more information, an application form, and guidance notes see our Apply to register a food business page.

Exemption from registration

Most premises will have to be registered. However, certain premises are exempt from registration. If you think you might be exempt please contact us.

Approval for handling animal products

If you are a manufacturer that handles animal products, you may need to be approved rather than registered. This may be by us or by the Food Standards Agency website.

If you are uncertain if your business needs to be approved or registered, please contact us using the contact details on the right of this page.

Find out more

You can find out more about running a catering business on the Food Standards Agency website or by using the links on this page.

The Food Standards Agency has also produced pdf icon food hygiene guide for businesses [309kb].

Did you find what you were looking for?Did you find what you were looking for?
    1. We use your views to improve our website. If you have a query about our services, please email

    1. We use your views to improve our website. If you have a query about our services, please email


A - Z of Council Services