Tree Preservation Orders

Information about what Tree Preservation Orders mean and how they help us to have some control over the management of important trees.

Our policy is normally to protect trees that are under threat. We will also consider protecting trees that are useful or desirable where the threat is less obvious.

You must not cut down, uproot, top, lop, wilfully damage or wilfully destroy a tree covered by a Tree Preservation Order without our consent. The maximum penalty for carrying out work to protected trees without consent is £20,000.

Our  pdf icon Tree enforcement policy [95kb] to explain how we will take enforcement action against unauthorised works to protected trees.

Carrying out work to a protected tree

If you want to carry out appropriate work to a tree protected by a Tree Preservation Order, you must make a planning application. Before you apply, we would encourage you to get in touch with us to talk through what you want to do and what's possible.

You can apply for permission through our apply for planning permission page, which will take you to the forms you need. If we grant consent, it will usually carry a time limit and a condition that the work follows best practice, as set out in BS 3998 tree work.

Tree Preservation Orders - exemptions

The following are examples of some of the exemption to Tree Preservation Order protection. Please ask us about other exemptions:

  • Trees that are dead or dangerous and trees grown to produce fruit commercially
  • The removal of dead of fractured tree limbs
  • Work to comply with the Highways Act

Current Tree Preservation Order applications

You can see a list of applications for work on trees covered by TPOs in our pdf icon TPO register - updated 3 September 2020 [1Mb] or you can search online for a planning application.

Did you find what you were looking for?Did you find what you were looking for?
    1. We use your views to improve our website. If you have a query about our services, please email

    1. We use your views to improve our website. If you have a query about our services, please email


A - Z of Council Services