Tell us about someone who is likely to become homeless - for public sector organisations

  1. If you are part of a public sector organisation, you can fill in this form to tell us about someone who is likely to become homeless under your duty to refer.

  2. We will investigate your referral and find out if the customer should submit a full housing application. Please only make one referral for this customer to one council.

    What we must do for anyone who is at risk of becoming homeless

    There is a requirement in the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017 under section 213B, for our housing services team to provide advice and assistance to anyone who is homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.

    The advice we will we give under this law will be written advice, which may be in the form of a personalised housing plan.

    For more information, please see our Homeless Referral Protocol (PDF).

    Any public sector organisation can use this form to refer a customer who they think is likely to become homeless. There are also an number of organisations that have a duty to refer and these are listed below.

    • List of organisations with a duty to refer
      • Prisons (public and private)
      • Youth offender institutions
      • Secure training centres
      • Secure colleges
      • Youth offending teams
      • Probation services (community rehabilitation companies and national probation service)
      • Jobcentre Plus
      • Accident and emergency services provided in a hospital;
      • Urgent treatment centres (Urgent treatment centres include services locally designated as such, and all other providers of community and primary urgent care, including services locally designated as urgent care centres, minor injury units, minor injury services and walk in centres)
      • Hospitals in their capacity of providing in-patient treatment (Inpatient care means persons who are receiving medical or other treatment as inpatients (admitted patients) in a hospital.) and
      • Social service authorities
      • Other organisation
  3. Privacy notice

    • Read about the information you send to us and what we will use it for
      • 1. Identity of the Data Controller and contact details

        Rushmoor Borough Council is the data controller for the personal information you provide on this form. You can contact the Council by phone on 01252 398634, via email to or by writing to us at Council Offices, Farnborough Road, Farnborough GU14 7JU. You can contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer at

      • 2. What we need your information for and the legal basis for it

        We need your personal information, some of which may be sensitive, to process your application for assistance under housing legislation. The law allows us to use your personal information in this way, as carrying out responsibilities under the Housing Act 1996 (as amended) is one of the Council’s public tasks. Special category data (race, ethnic origin, religion, health etc.) to perform our duties under the Housing Act 1996 is obtained in accordance with Article 9(2)(g) of the General Data Protection Regulation where processing is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest or Member state law which shall be proportionate to the aim pursued, and provide for suitable and specific measures to safeguard the fundamental rights and the interests of the data subject.

      • 3. Use for any other purposes

        If we need to use your information for any other purpose, we will normally inform you before using it, unless we believe you know about the new purpose already or there are legal reasons that prevent us from telling you.

      • 4. Will you pass my information to anyone else?

        We may share your information with other teams within the Council such as Housing Benefit, Council Tax, legal services and Private Sector Housing teams in order to provide our services, carry out our public tasks and to keep our records up to date. If you ask a Councillor for help we may pass information to them and other services to enable them to help you.

        We may also pass information about you to third parties where permitted or required by law to do so. This may include other local authorities and government departments or agencies carrying out their public tasks, such as Hampshire County Council Trading Standards, HMRC and the Police in carrying out criminal investigations.

      • 5. How we will store and look after your information

        Your data will be held electronically and will not be stored in a country outside the UK. All paper records containing your personal information will be held securely in our filing systems and archives.

      • 6. How long we will retain your information

        We will keep your information on our records for a period determined within our retention guidelines, or as long as we are required to do so by law, or in accordance with our operational requirements. For information on our policy for retaining personal information, please see our retention guidelines as published on Rushmoor Borough Council’s website.

      • 7. Your rights concerning your information

        The General Data Protection Regulation gives you a number of rights concerning your personal information. See the list below. Not all rights apply in every case – it will depend on the legal basis for collecting your information and how we use it.

        • The right to be informed
        • The right of access
        • The right to rectification
        • Rights related to automated decision making, including profiling
        • The right to restrict processing
        • The right to data portability
        • The right to object
        • The right to erasure

        Further details on these rights can be found on our website

      • 8. Right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office

        If you are not happy with the way the Council is handling your personal information you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office. (ICO). You will find details of how to do so on the ICO website at or by phoning their helpline on 0303 123 1113.

      • 9. Why we need your information and the consequences of not providing it

        We need your information to carry out our responsibilities under Housing Law. If you do not provide it, it is unlikely we will be able to assist you in performing our duties under the Housing Act 1996 Part VI and VII, as well as other relevant legislation and regulations such as Right to Rent or the Equality Act 2010.

    1. Are you from an organisation or are you a member of the public? *

A - Z of Council Services