Find out how our housing strategies help us meet local needs.
Housing and Homelessness Strategy survey 2016 -2021
Thanks to everyone who took part in our Housing and Homelessness Strategy survey in May and June.
We will be using the information you gave us to help inform our Housing and Homelessness Strategy for 2016 - 2021, which will be considered by members of our Cabinet later this year.
Why we need a housing strategy
All councils have to produce a housing strategy by law. This is because they give a clear structure for us and our housing partners to provide housing and housing-related services for our residents.
The strategies help us to make sure that:
- Our existing housing is in a good, safe condition
- New housing meets the needs and aspirations of our community and is built to good quality standards
- We target limited affordable housing resources to those who need them the most
- What we do links well with other organisations, such as housing associations, private landlords and other specialist agencies
How we produce the strategies
We put the strategies together using information we have on housing needs in Rushmoor and evidence of what is happening in the local housing market. We also take into account:
- Government policy
- Views of residents, councillors, housing service providers and other partners
Our housing strategies and plans
We have a number of strategies available, which address a wide range of housing issues.
We published a new Housing and Homelessness Strategy in the autumn of 2011. This brought the Housing, Homelessness, Older Persons' and Empty Property Strategies into one document with one action plan.
We adopted our Tenancy Strategy in December 2012. This provides guidance to housing associations on the issues to be covered in their tenancy policies, in particular their approach on lifetime and fixed term tenancies.
Current strategy documents
- Housing and Homelessness Strategy 2011-2016 [1Mb]
- Housing and Homelessness Strategy Fourth Update 2015 [4Mb]
- Private Sector Renewal Strategy 2010- 2013 [3Mb]
- Tenancy Strategy 2013 - 2016 [6Mb]
Together with other Hampshire local authorities, we have prepared a Central and North Hampshire Tenancy Strategy Statement [1Mb]. This provides Hampshire-wide guidance to housing associations on their tenancy policies.
It is important to meeting the current and future housing needs of people in Rushmoor. We need to make sure that good quality housing is available for many different households including:
- Single people
- Older people
- People who need specialist accommodation
- People who cannot afford to rent or buy a home of their own
- People who are looking to buy their first home
- People moving into Rushmoor to work
Supporting information on housing need and the housing market
- Housing Needs Survey 2009 [1Mb]
- North West Surrey and North East Hampshire Strategic Housing Market Assessment 2008 (SHMA) [3Mb]
- Gypsy and Travellers' Accommodation Assessment 2006 [2Mb]
- Travelling Show People's Accommodation Assessment 2008 [186kb]
- Local Investment Plan for North Hampshire and the M3 area (LIP) [983kb]
- Core Strategy [3Mb]
For more information on our housing strategies, please contact our please contact our Housing Strategy and Enabling Team using the contact details on this page.