We sometimes need temporary election staff. This is usually at election time and when we're preparing the new electoral roll.

If you fill in an Temporary job application form, we will add your details to our list and consider you for future vacancies.

Election staff

Before the election

Elections are usually on the first Thursday of May. In the run-up to the elections and on election day, we need:

Payments for a single election are around:

  • £295 for a presiding officer
  • £190 for a poll clerk
  • £11 per hour for a postal vote assistant
  • £11 - £18 per hour for a count assistant (depending on the day and time of the count)

For combined elections, some payments are higher.

When we are compiling the new electoral roll

We compile a new electoral roll every year between August and November when we ask people to register to vote. We need canvassers to help us with this work. For details, see the Job description for canvassers.

Entitlement to work in the UK

If we appoint you to one of these positions, you will have to show you are entitled to work in the UK. You will need to provide one of the following:

  • A valid passport
  • A full birth certificate issued in the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Ireland, plus an official document giving your permanent National Insurance number
  • A residence permit, registration certificate or document showing you are entitled to live in the UK permanently

Other forms of entitlement - contact us for more information using the contact details on the right of this page. The UK Border Agency also provides information on working in the UK if you are a European national and working in the UK if you are a non-European migrant.

Contact us