We do not count qualifying carers when looking at the number of people living in a property for council tax purposes.

For council tax purposes there are two categories of carer. Each has its own qualifying criteria.

Category A carer

Care workers employed by a charity, local authority or state agency to provide care and support to another person. The care worker must:

  • Have been introduced to the person by the charity or authority
  • Work for at least 24 hours a week and be paid no more than £44 a week
  • Live where the care is given or in premises provided for the better performance of the work

Category B carer

A carer who lives in the same home as the person receiving care and who provides an average of at least 35 hours a week care to that person.

The carer may not be:

  • A married or unmarried partner of the person receiving care
  • A parent of the person receiving care, where that person is a child under the age of 18

The person receiving care

The person receiving care must receive one of the following state benefits:

  • Higher rate attendance allowance
  • The highest or middle rate care component of a disability living allowance
  • The enhanced daily living component of Personal Independence  Payment (PIP)
  • Increased rate of disablement pension
  • Increase in constant attendance allowance

To apply for a council tax discount

Print off and complete either:

The pdf icon Carer disregard (category A) application form [329kb]

The pdf icon Carer disregard (category B) application form [313kb]

If you are applying under category B, you will need to provide proof that the person receiving care is entitled to one of the listed state benefits.

Send the form with proof of entitlement to the qualifying benefits listed above.

Did you find what you were looking for?Did you find what you were looking for?
    1. We use your views to improve our website. If you have a query about our services, please email

    1. We use your views to improve our website. If you have a query about our services, please email


A - Z of Council Services