Make a complaint against a councillor

  1. If you feel a councillor has broken any of the rules in the Code of Conduct for Councillors you can fill in this form and complain to our monitoring officer.

    If you would like help filling in the form, please contact or telephone 01252 398399.

    Your details

  2. Privacy notice

    • Read about the information you send to us and what we will use it for
      • 1. Identity of the Data Controller and contact details

        Rushmoor Borough Council is the data controller for the personal information you provide on this form. You can contact the Council by phone on 01252 398980, via email to or by writing to us at Council Offices, Farnborough Road, Farnborough GU14 7JU. You can contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer at

      • 2. What we need your information for and the legal basis for it

        We hold your personal information to contact you about your complaint against a councillor. The law allows us to use your personal information in this way as responding to complaints against a councillor is one of the Council’s public tasks.

      • 3. Use for any other purposes

        If we need to use your information for any other purpose, we will normally inform you before using it, unless we believe you know about the new purpose already or there are legal reasons that prevent us from telling you.

      • 4. Will you pass my information to anyone else?

        The Council’s Monitoring Officer will not usually release your address and contact details unless necessary to deal with your complaint. We may share your information with the Council’s Designated Independent Person (DIP), councillors who are linked to the complaint, and other teams within the Council (including legal services and democratic services), and to keep our records up to date. If you ask a Councillor for help we may pass information to them to enable them to help you.

        You may request that your identity is kept confidential if you have good reason to believe that you have justifiable grounds. Details are set out in the form.

      • 5. How we will store and look after your information

        Your data will be held electronically on the Council’s IT system. All paper records containing your personal information will be held securely in our filing systems and archives.

      • 6. How long we will retain your information

        We will normally keep your details in our current database for as long as we are required to do so by law, or in accordance with our operational requirements. For further information on our policy for retaining personal information, see our retention guidelines.

      • 7. Your rights concerning your information

        The General Data Protection Regulation gives you a number of rights concerning your personal information. See the list below. Not all rights apply in every case – it will depend on the legal basis for collecting your information and how we use it.

        • The right to be informed
        • The right of access
        • The right to rectification
        • Rights related to automated decision making, including profiling
        • The right to restrict processing
        • The right to data portability
        • The right to object
        • The right to erasure

        Further details on these rights can be found on our website

      • 8. Right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office

        If you are not happy with the way the Council is handling your personal information you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office. (ICO). You will find details of how to do so on the ICO website at or by phoning their helpline on 0303 123 1113.

      • 9. Why we need your information and the consequences of not providing it

        We need your personal contact information for the purposes of administering and investigating your complaint against a councillor. It is totally up to you to decide whether you provide it or not, but a complaint cannot be followed up without your details.

  3. Your details

  4. 1. Please tell us your name and contact details.

  5. Label
    1. We will not usually release your address and contact details unless necessary or to deal with your complaint.

      However, we will tell the following people that you have made this complaint:

      • The councillor(s) you are complaining about
      • Our Monitoring Officer

      We will tell them your name and give them a summary of your complaint. We will give them full details of your complaint where necessary or appropriate so they can deal with it. If you have serious concerns about your name and a summary, or details of your complaint being released, please complete section 5 of this form.

    2. 2. Please tell us which complainant type best describes you: *

A - Z of Council Services