Self-build and custom-build homes

Register your interest for self-build or custom-build homes in Aldershot and Farnborough.

At the moment, we are trying to assess the level of interest for self-build or custom-build homes in Rushmoor.

This information will help us decide if there is a demand locally, and to develop specific planning policies for the provision of self-build or custom housing plots.

About self-build and custom-build homes

The terms 'self-build' and 'custom-build' are used to describe situations where individuals or groups are involved in creating their own home. The amount of personal involvement will vary. For example, some self-builders physically build all or part of a home themselves. At the other end of the scale, a developer may find a site and then seek a number of self-build clients and build their homes to their specification under a contract.

Self-build homes

Self-build describes projects where the people involved play a very significant part in the process. They may help organise the project, commission an architect or builder, or do some of the construction or finishing off work too. Self-building does not necessarily mean picking up bricks and physically getting stuck in - most self-builders will be involved in the creative side of the process.

Custom-build homes

Custom-build describes a more 'hands-off' approach where a specialist developer co-ordinates the whole process for the people involved.

Affordable housing and rental schemes

Affordable housing may also be self-built.

In a rented custom-build scheme, tenants could be involved in self-build or agreeing to 'self-finish' homes perhaps in return for reduced rents or other benefits

Registering your interest in self-build or custom-build homes

If you are a couple or a household, please apply as an individual. Please nominate one person as the 'lead contact' whose name and address will be included in the register.

If you are submitting details of an association, such as a company, you will have to provide details (name, address, date of birth and nationality) for each member of the association.

Please only register if you, or all members of your association, are:

  • Aged 18 or over
  • A British citizen, a national of an European Economic Area (EEA) state other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland
  • Seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in Rushmoor to build a house to occupy as your sole or main home

European Economic Area (EEA) states include the 28 European Union member states, plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. 

As well as the United Kingdom, the European Union member states are Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

Self build register form This link opens in a new browser window

At this stage, you are making no commitment - we are trying to find out how much local demand there is for self-build housing.

You are agreeing that we can use the data you provide to understand the demand for custom-build and self-build housing.

In preparing this register,we are making no commitment to provide self-build or custom-build plots.

The register will not be a public document, but we may publish headline data from it annually.

Did you find what you were looking for?Did you find what you were looking for?
    1. We use your views to improve our website. If you have a query about our services, please email

    1. We use your views to improve our website. If you have a query about our services, please email


Tel: 01252 398788
View full details


A - Z of Council Services